{Togetherness, happiness, fun and laughDaisypath Anniversary tickers

All photographs are there to remind us of what we forget, they are just like the recipe - a memory of the finished dishes...}

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Recipes: Mooncake on Harvest moon

Harvest moon is coming…
I don’t like mooncake after one of my friend make them for me in Sydney and that’s the first time I tried mooncake hahaha…I was quite surprise knowing that he can bake a mooncake (what a talent :D , well he used to be a culinary student so no wonder haha… ) eniwei I still miss that mooncake, they were delicious yummy yummy… mooncake
I tried to make them yesterday (well because it’s already morning now) and I did it…I only can make a snow skin one since I don’t have any oven here (as I told before haizzz)…there’s two recipes in doing these mooncake, steaming and unsteaming. So I just make two of them and let my friend judge them.
mooncake2
The first jury, xiao mei, love the unsteamed one. Well, the unsteamed one looks great but I’m just afraid the flour is undercooked since I was using pan cook rather than oven bake. She said that the steamed one is just exactly like mochi, and yes she is right, it is a mochi recipes just adding some rice flour inside…As it is a mochi style so i can’t hold the mold shape strongly and easy to reform its original shape back haiz….(as can be seen on pics)  
mooncake3
Ingredients:
  • 1cup glutinous rice flour
  • 1cup rice flour
  • 1/2 cup glutinous flour for dusting
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar (depends)
  • 200 ml olive oil / shortening
  • 400 ml milk
  • food coloring
  • fillings: lotus paste, red bean paste etc
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 400 F and bake for 30 minutes; stir flour every 5-10 minutes. To define the flour is cooked or not, you can see how the flour changed in color, instead its original white color, it will turn to brown color. You can either cook them on pan (like what I did hehe)
  • Set aside to cool flour.
  • Mix all the glutinous, rice flour,  icing sugar with milk,oil and food coloring bits by bits until ingredients form paste/dough.
  • You can add food essence and/or food coloring while mixing the ingredients.
  • Dust your mold with cooked flour
  • Make balls/rolls of the paste and the fillings, flattened the paste ball and place the filling ball in the middle, close the flattened paste ball, seam to seal, place it into the mold, press with your palm, knock slightly and turn mold over onto a serving plate.
  • Serve mooncake chilled.
 mooncake4
I made the choco biscuit fillings and it taste very nice haaha ~ a new taste for mooncake hehe :D mooncake5fyen[8]Uncooked mooncake with lotus pandan as its filling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover